Saturday, January 14, 2012

What Do Your Dreams Mean?


            Dreaming can come in a couple different forms, but all of my blog posts so far have been basically about one of them; things I wish to do or that I wish would happen. There could also be literal dreams, like the ones you have while sleeping, or even daydreaming. Even though you don’t have much control over what you dream about at night, studies show that these things you dream about are something you wish for, fear, or just think about. I have not remembered that many of my dreams lately (or ones I would be able to share with the class…), so I interviewed Sam about what a recent dream was, and how he interpreted it.

            His dream was that he was in a dance studio, one he used to dance at, and he was just looking around the place. There was a performance going on while he was there, so he was watching it. In this dream, he saw some of his camp friends and old friends sitting in the audience. These friends were not people he is particularly close with, and he has fallen out of contact with these people. Sam interpreted that he dreamt this because lately, he has been feeling distant from all of his friends, and that he’s having trouble connecting with them. He also interprets this as a way of telling him to put himself in places that he feels comfortable. This basically means that all these friends that he saw were from places he loves and misses, so re-connecting with those people could make him happier and more comfortable. Even though some dreams could seem pointless, like this one for example, once you examine it closer, the dream might contain a lot of importance.

            Personally, I think that dreams always mean something. You might not say that’s true because sometimes the things we dream about seem so stupid and pointless. But, they still have meaning, even if that meaning is stupid and pointless too. For example, I’ve had dreams about big fears of mine like being kidnapped when I was little, and even one about my grandma and I having to run away from a dog. I know those things seem meaningless, but when I was younger my biggest fear was being kidnapped or robbed and I thought about it all the time. Also, my grandma is very scared of dogs, so the dog part of that dream was actually very important. In the past, I have also dreamt about happier and sillier things, but those dreams had some purpose as well. Even those dreams where it’s just me and a couple of my friends together, I wake up feeling happier and greater fulfilled than when I went to sleep. Sometimes, I dream about impossible fantasies, which are the best dreams. But then, you wake up, and for an instant you think it actually happened and even feel happy… Then two seconds later you realize it was just a dream, and something that might never happen, and there’s kind of a sad feeling that occurs. No matter what the dream was about or what emotion came with it, I always take the time to think about what it means. Talking about dreams using this much detail made me realize the power dreams can have on my emotions and thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment